Also? It’s worth noting that there are rarely any disabled bodies in the discussion. There are many us who don’t love our bodies, and beyond what has already been mentioned, have valid reasons! Because our bodies cause us pain, make it difficult to do simple day to day activities. I want a campaign of “it’s ok to feel whatever the fuck you want about yourself. Your body is your own and I am an outsider who has zero say in how you feel about it.”
Yes, yes, yes!
I spent a good deal of today stuck in a wonderful rut of self-loathing over a fucking body positivity article.
The truth is that I don’t love my body. My body and I have had the most massive of complicated relationships. From my eating disorder in college to my disordered eating while I was pregnant, to the way my body crapped out on my in the Navy, and the way it’s been slowly turning into this thing I hate and I am powerless to stop it.
I want to be on the Love Your Body bandwagon, because I sincerely want everyone to love the skin they’re in.
I just can’t. I can’t love mine, and I hate myself for it even more, because I know that it is culture and impossible standards that set up the conditions that make me feel this way. It reduces me to tears and makes me afraid of public spaces and meeting friends and family at all.
Yeah, all the “love your body” rhetoric I’ve seen assumes you are an otherwise conventionally attractive and healthy cis woman (probably white) who just needs to realise that there’s Nothing Wrong(tm) with being fat or a little old and grey.
Well I’m an otherwise fairly conventionally attractive fat greying cis white woman and my fat and grey hairs REALLY AREN’T THE MAIN ISSUE I have with my body. Hell, my main issue with gaining weight is that it’s inconvenient and has genuine health consequences for me. And the idea that if I learn to love my fat and wrinkles I will have NOTHING ELSE to feel bad about actually makes me feel pretty terrible about the rashes, pain, immobility, hairiness (no not “the normal healthy hair all women have”, I am legit hairy), and general difficult-to-love-ness of my body. I can only imagine what it’s like for people who are visibly disabled or trans etc. And as the quote implies, it’s also nasty for otherwise conventionally attractive and healthy cis women who find themselves unable to love their bodies anyway.
- kalisherni likes this
- meganlongphotography likes this
- siddpr likes this
- susoorg reblogged this from trashprincesss
- gracerosemay likes this
- skychase reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- liliarthur reblogged this from onegirlrhumba
- pane-et-tempesta reblogged this from onegirlrhumba
- pane-et-tempesta likes this
- susanandthebanshees likes this
- halfbrokenheroine likes this
- impromptudiary reblogged this from shewhoentangles-men
- meeresbande likes this
- shewhoentangles-men reblogged this from nieuw88
- thefriendofcats likes this
- mastapas likes this
- divinehours reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- divinehours likes this
- meggmichelle reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage and added:
- celtic-a reblogged this from redefiningbodyimage
- nothingtoup reblogged this from onegirlrhumba
- zygomorph reblogged this from onegirlrhumba and added:
- hepburney reblogged this from roman-numerals
- ellisv reblogged this from vikrattlehead
- lilspacebabe likes this
- lyrox likes this
- exuberantmelon reblogged this from drownindeweydecimal
- keeliwiththecrappyphone likes this
- grandinquisitor-ofpies reblogged this from devsterwho
- queerfire likes this
- devsterwho reblogged this from heyfatchick
- drownindeweydecimal reblogged this from conjecturesandconversations
- iridescentramblings likes this
- refulgent-summer reblogged this from soularbliss
- erstwhilegirl reblogged this from continuants
- marioncountynow reblogged this from wifwolf
- someonecallthegirlpolice reblogged this from onegirlrhumba
- zoquitsa likes this
- dnalien likes this
- ideologicallyunsound likes this
- youshallnotass likes this
- cloaksonclocks likes this
- billierain likes this
- resmc likes this
- hepburney likes this
- datemike likes this
- goldblumnoises reblogged this from roman-numerals
- lemonlikeliz likes this